JACK & PEG MEAKINS

Written by Leonie Meakins

“Three years of eating dust and mud”

Jack had applied to join the Soldier Settlement Scheme in the South East, but missed out and was asked if he would consider going to Kangaroo Island. Leaving their Barossa Valley family and friends behind, Jack moved to the Parndana camp in January 1953 and Peg joined him with children Sue and John three months later, when married accommodation was available.

The camp was basic and rough, but they made the best of it. It was a great leveller as everybody else was in the same situation and many enduring friendships were made.
For three years Jack was out on the bulldozing and logging teams, camping out for several days at a time. “Three years of eating dust and mud” Jack would say.

Jack holding Leonie, Peg, Sue, John, front Kate and Pam

They waited an extra year for a good block, and were happy to be allocated lot 77 Hd of Duncan, “Northside” moving there on New Year’s day 1956.
Pam was born during their time in the camp and Kate and Leonie came along later.

With determination, ingenuity and a lot of hard work they built up a very productive farm. They were the first to produce 100 bales of wool. Being able to be self-sufficient and to make or repair most things themselves was a big part of their lives. The children were all expected to pitch in and help with any work that was going on.

They were very involved in the local community, helping to build the Stokes Bay Hall in 1960, a venue for church and the popular monthly dances.
The first Duncan & Gosse fire truck was built at Northside in 1965 from an old Blitz army truck.

Duncan and Gosse fire truck 1965

Duncan and Gosse fire truck 1965


Peg in the veggie patch 1984
The Armco Shed circa 1960
Our house circa 1975

You can see a dedicated album in the museum with a historical collection of letters, photos, farm records, newspaper cuttings, etc.

Jack said coming to K.I. was the best decision he ever made.

If you would like to contribute a brief family story and photos to the website please email parndanamuseum@gmail.com